Thursday, September 24, 2009

Smile and grow old



Today is Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Like any ordinary day, I arrived home from work and my usual routine is to turn on the TV and catch the program Wowowee.

Today, the Willie of Fortune featured couples that are married for 40 years and more.

I found it amusing to watch old couples enjoy a noontime show, moreso, be the contestants themselves. Like what the program banners, it seeks to show the true nature of ordinary people wishing to get a shot for quick money. And the price they have to pay it to unclothe themselves from the very eyes of the Philippines and the world. By ‘unclothe’, I mean showing the world who and what they are, their life in comical satires and real-life dramas, which every Filipino and world citizen could relate to.

Again today they featured couples married for 40 years and more. With the quick introduction of the contestants, I thought I was up for a show that’s very ‘masa’ or with mass appeal as the show is always like. And certainly it was, and more. With Willie Revillame’s timely comic antics and witty but sometimes exaggerated and sensationalized/predictable questioning, the show went on with so much fun. By ‘fun’, I mean he was able to spice up the show and inadvertently reveal the best side of the contestants.

What struck me is the common denominator of a lasting relationship as shared by the contestants themselves: patience, understanding and supporting the other to bring out the best in them. Poverty is always a challenge and to last 50 years is all worth the hardships.

There were also some comical reliefs.
Wife: “……kung mauna ka mag mamatay sa akin, gusto ko sabay tayo pagkat kulang ang buhay ko pag wala ka” (if you have to die first, I want to die with you for life is incomplete without you).
Host: “O tatay, anu masasabi niyo sa sinabi ni nanay?” (What can you say about that?)
There was silence and the host had to repeat the question. In a confused tone, the husband responded: “Ayaw ko”
And the crowd went hilarious. I myself had a satisfying smile.

After the show, I thought of myself, I’m just married for more than a year. Will I and my partner reach 50 years and more? I have sworn in the holy sacrament of matrimony and I vow to keep my promise….until death do us part

No comments:

Post a Comment