Tuesday, May 4, 2010

foot prints: Los Banos Garden Show, Theme: Garden Wedding


Move over flowers and step aside garden plants like palms and philodendrons!

Summer brings out the blooms although the climate is drying up the green. June is just a few months away, a month for weddings. Thus, the Los Banos Garden Show last April 23-May 2, 2010 with the theme “Garden Weddings”.

I was married in 2008 and being an alumnus of UP Los Banos, we held our wedding reception at the Senior’s Social Garden, the same venue where the Los Banos garden shows are held twice each year (October and summer months). My wife and I initially planned a garden wedding but thrashed the idea and settled for the traditional set-up instead. When I saw the ad, somewhere in Lalakay, about the garden show, I know I have to be there. And I did. My wife, who is an alumna of UPLB, also had the same enthusiasm to see the show.

Unlike in the past editions, this year somewhat mellowed on its flora exhibits and no new varieties of plants were introduced. Even exhibitors seem far less than the last time (see previous article). But as an enthusiast, the show had its same flourish and greening. It is never short of surprise which literally leaves an audience in awe with the cool and enchanting garden wedding set-up booths.

I always look forward to the central design of the exhibit.  And I was partially dismayed on how simple it was. I was expecting more for some wedding glamor, color and festivity. However, looking into the details, I knew that it was well-planned, with the vanda orchids and other varieties neatly arranged to create an illusion of an orchid-filled garden gazebo.
As per the booths, the set-up technically speaks much for itself.

Booth # 1: This set-up’s main feature is a covered pathway that leads to an altar. Colorful curtains add character to the booth with a gravel tile foot path.  I like the way plants are set up along the way. It is simple, elegant and has the economical look.
Booth #2: A gazebo type set-up with torches along the pathway sides. This booth looks very well at night when the torch lights are on. The booth too is simple and I don’t find much elegance (probably because it not for a daytime garden wedding). The bamboo siding add an oriental look and what I like is the enchanting intimacy it offers.
Booth # 3: This is probably the most common set-up for a garden wedding. Gravel stones and tiled rocks will guide the couple to a central area. This booth would look best if there is a water-fountain and trellises clinging from the roof of the bamboo covers. Curtains add color while choices of plants are well too ordinary. With an outstanding choice of colorful flowers, this booth could have offered the best sight.
Booth # 4: The simplest and the most ordinary looking booth for me. But, simple and ordinary as it may look, the set-up is not short of creating that romantic thrill. It features an open path lined with bamboo torches. Not like booth #2 that has enclosed sides, this offers the element of space and the feature that will highlight the couple and not the garden itself.
Booth # 5: This was judged as the winner for the booth competition. It’s the most well-though off design and offers the most elements. Plants flourish in the garden with rocks, stones and wood creating a varied texture. It offers two pathways, one that is directly behind the couple and the other on a side that offers the view of the couple. My wife picked this design as her favorite. And I’m not going to disagree.
Booth # 6: This is my unanimous pick. When I saw it, I immediately saw myself being remarried in this set-up. I love the simplicity of the design and its use of space. The minimalist structure and the capis wall create an open air altar. Moreso, the design looked clean and has the feel of a zen-like/spa-like garden. Also, the elevated steps will certainly make a couple feel that they are at the center of the garden and eventually the wedding.
This edition of the garden show lived up to its theme. All the partial disappointments I had at the start of the show eventually became a one-of-a-kind experience. It was a simple garden show filled world-class landscaping pulled off expertly by the Los Banos Horticulture Society. The garden show has already made a name for itself. It has become a tradition that is now part of Los Banos identity.

1 comment: