Monday, May 9, 2011

wun manong: a happy horse a day, keeps the blues away

I’ve been hearing a lot about this ‘happy horse’ lately. 

It’s a legend about a smiling horse in the logo, or print of the local beer, the Red Horse. According to many beer drinkers account, there is one bottle of happy horse in every case and that the beer is more concentrated than the regular bottle and so it gives a stronger punch or kick (we’re referring to a horse anyway). 



It was one of those random drinking that I discovered it.

I was manning our food shop, Tobee’s Roasted Chicken in Lopez Avenue, Los Baños, Laguna, when a friend passed by and tried our street barbeque. I offered a drink and that started the night. Coincidentally, I was expecting for my wife to arrive off from her job and when she did, the rest, as they would say it, is history.

We were drinking bottles of Red Horse beer when, if my memory served me right, I asked about the legend of the happy horse. They store attendants claimed they have bottles in store so I asked. And yes indeed. It was a smiling happy red horse.

The ‘happy horse’ was a result of a misprint, not so long ago (1983). And that it has the same alcohol content as the regular red horse beer. When and how did the rumor start about it having a stronger punch is all part of a drunk imagination. Also, there could be more than one bottle or no bottle at all of a happy horse in every case since the bottles are randomly lined up in a conveyor at the bottling plant.

The happy horse may be in the bottle or the one drinking on the bottle. In any case, one always has to drink moderately.

No comments:

Post a Comment