Tuesday, December 21, 2010

wun manong: christmas and that thing called 'bunutan'

Its three days before Christmas!!! And yes, everyone is probably done with Christmas shopping or at least halfway done buying the gifts for friends, families and everyone else.
And just when you thought that the shopping is over, there will come another instance to buy gifts.
On my way home today, I decided let my feet follow the heart and mind.  My feet says, it wanted to go straight home while my heart and mind said, let's drop by the mall and window shop. So I did! 
I wanted to challenge myself.
Last night my sister prepared the list of names for our family kris kringle or bunutan. All of us knows that this is a Philippine tradition of gift giving wherein names are put in a box and everyone gets to pick the name of the person who they must give a gift which we call 'monito' or 'monita'. Then you set-up the minimum amount for the value of the gift.
This way, everyone gets a gift, whether you like the one you've picked or not. Oftentimes, it serves a venue to repair disparities among friends and colleagues.
We've decided on the value..Php75.00 or roughly $1.50 in value. Its cheap yes, everyone can afford the price even our house help.  But the challenge comes into finding a good gift for a cheap price.
I'd say 'good' gift because for us Filipinos, we do not just give our gift just because we like it. The gift we give oftentimes determine how well we know the person. You will be more inclined to giving what he/she likes other what you want to give.
So, I had to challenge myself. Seventy-five pesos, and I have to pick a gift for my mom (I picked her name). That's tough. For someone special and dear, finding a suitable gift for $1.50 is definitely tough.
Just so you know, a t-shirt or a blouse cost Php99.00 minimum or if you have chance to go to Divisoria or tsangges, you'll find some at cheaper price.
Now I know why my heart led me to SM Southmall. I have to find a gift. Initially, I decided on something I can buy from National Bookstore, and the most that I had was a rosary for less than a hundred. Delete option.
Then I had to check out the department store. I checked the kitchenware section..drinking glasses, those damn drinking glasses in boxes of four or six. No, its not an option.
Then to the section where you get to see pillows in different colors, designs and shape. There was one I liked that said "Hug a MAROON for Intimacy". I know you'd guess the color of the pillow.
But I know there's a better gift out there for my mother. I passed by a Watsons shop and I saw a 'buy 1 take 1' offer for a body scrub. That is reserved for someone else. Then there's a body vanity kit sold at Php175.00 for 2 pieces (body lotion and shower creme). I was tempted to buy it. The body lotion goes out to my mother, and the shower creme, I'll offer it to my wife so she has something to give for her monito. Now I had an option.
I was in the mood to shop further, so I walked..and walked...and walked until I reached the activity area and there was a ventriloquist with his puppet performing. I hate puppets, they're like evil creatures to me. So I had to go and continue my shopping.
Then I saw the bags. There were bags made of flour sack with nice prints for Php129.00. Expensive eh! But then there's the second option.
In Los BaƱos, Laguna, where I take residence, there is a municipal ordinance  banning the use of plastics. Maybe, this is a good gift. Its like paying it forward and that other may follow. Its an option.
Two prospects and countless shops visited, I decided to head home. Not quite happy that I did not get to buy something, because its just going to be hassle if we do last minute shopping, I was contented that at least I gave my heart and mind the chance to lead over the feet. Now, finally, its the feet's turn to be followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment